Folks, with there being just thirteen days until the 2022 NFL Draft, I figured now would be a great time to recap some of the latest draft rumors/information that we know. Keep in mind that information changes by the minute and something that we type now could be completely irrelevant in the span of minutes if a big trade happens.
Let’s get started breaking down these rumors!
Who will the Jaguars take with the first overall pick?
The Jags have the first pick in the draft for the second straight year and Aidan Hutchinson is the private favorite to be picked first. With that being said, there’s an outside chance that the Jaguars end up taking Georgia DE Travon Walker. Jaguars General Manager Trent Baalke reportedly sees a lot of Aldon Smith (who he drafted in San Francisco) in Walker and they could end up taking him instead.
Quarterback Rumor Roundup
If I had to guess based on what we know today, the earliest a quarterback will go in this draft is the sixth overall pick with the Carolina Panthers unless a team trades up to number five with the New York Giants to jump them (more on that later).
In terms of which quarterback would go first? I’d lean Malik Willis at this point. He could have potential suitors in the Carolina Panthers and the Atlanta Falcons in the top 10 and the Pittsburgh Steelers in the middle of the first round.
I wouldn’t be shocked if Desmond Ridder goes to the Seahawks at pick nine. They really like him. He’s also visiting the Colts today whose first pick is at 42 this year.
This is the absolute worst quarterback class I’ve seen in a really long time. It seems that sentiment is shared with teams and a lot of desperate teams are okay waiting until next year.
How many wide receivers could go round 1?
With teams recognizing that they need firepower on offense to win in today’s league, positional value for receivers has definitely increased. From what I’ve heard, you can lock in six receivers in the first round this year: Jameson Williams, Garrett Wilson, Drake London, Chris Olave, Jahan Dotson, and Treylon Burks.
It wouldn’t shock me if Williams was the first receiver taken. Some teams have Olave as their first rated wide receiver. Some other teams have Wilson. Many teams are intrigued by Skyy Moore out of Western Michigan and he could creep in there as well.
Free Fallin’ Players
Two guys who are free falling down team’s draft boards are Notre Dame Safety Kyle Hamilton and Iowa Center Tyler Linderbaum. Kyle Hamilton was projected to be a top five pick at the end of the NFL season but you can pencil him into picks 10-20 now.
Center Tyler Linderbaum is likely going to fall into the second round. His lack of versatility is scaring teams away.
The Giants desperately want to trade back
The Giants have picks five and seven in this year’s draft and they desperately want to trade back. Every teams knows this. I wouldn’t be shocked if they move both picks if the price is right. They will be the most interesting team to watch on draft night.
Other loose ends that we can tie
- The Saints made a deal with the Eagles to get a second first round pick this year. While many people are speculating that it’s to move up for a quarterback, I wouldn’t be so sure that’s the case. The Saints feel they can contend with Jameis Winston and they want to get him some help.
- Ahmad Gardner is the top corner on most teams boards. Derek Stingley and Trent McDuffie are number two and three depending on the team.
- This is the best edge rusher class in recent memory. As many as seven could go in round one.
- Iowa State’s Breece Hall is likely the only running back that could go in round one. He will be the first running back taken off the board.
- The Packers are going to take a wide receiver in the first round this year. You can book that.
- Jerry Jones reportedly loves Arkansas WR Treylon Burks. It makes sense with his Arkansas connections
- David Ojabo should still be a second round pick despite his Achilles injury.
Featured Image Credit: Maize & Blue Nation, CC BY 2.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0, via Wikimedia Commons